Our CEO, Dr Greg Ussher, joins over 200 other civil society leaders in standing together against racism and outlines our approach to address structural race inequalities:
"METRO Charity acknowledges diversity, celebrates difference and over its 35 years has championed equality.
"The charity’s history is largely LGBT, and after a series or mergers it’s present is diverse and avowedly intersectional.
"Our Board of Trustees have acknowledged our imperative to now champion race equity and challenge race disparities.
"As CEO, I am leading an embedded process to address structural race inequities with:
- a Trustee approved Race Equality Action Plan
- support of a self-organised Race Equality Advisory Group (REAG)
- approving a constitutional change through our membership to empower both the Plan and the Advisory Group
- appointing of a Resilience Project Manager to implement the Plan
- delivering a mandatory race equity training program across our workforce of 200 through an outsourced, tendered process
- providing restorative opportunities for staff and volunteers traumatised by stigma, discrimination and bullying based on race
- developing a communications agenda which engages REAG to develop and disseminate positive imagery and narratives
- measuring our performance against our Action Plan by including a specific outcome and indicator on the Board’s Balanced Scorecard."
Read more about the ACEVO campaign.